Friday, July 29, 2011

LEARNING LOG 5

I just recently read the booklet, "The Unseen", provided by Mrs Woo. Well, I have DEFINITELY learnt a lot from it, from how to tackle unseen stuff, to writing an essay for Literature. so, I'll slit it into 2 parts;
PART I- A GUIDE TO TACKLING THE UNSEEN
In this part, I learnt how to approach unseen poems and prose passage. The similarities between both of them was to READ THE POEM/PASSAGE AT LEAST 3 TIMES. First time, brief look through. Second time, get a better understanding. Third time for poem is to IMAGINE. For prose passage, it is to read through the questions and then go back to the passage again. :P I personally think that this is a good method BUT, it takes up too much time. If a REALLY slow reader does this, he/she will definitely not have enough time to tackle the questions. The booklet also taught me that it is better to write notes down at the sides of the poem or passage, to help us list down our thoughts on the poem or passage. I actually thought that we were not allowed to do that so I always erase whatever I write down to help me understand. It also gave me do-s and don't-s on how to answer questions which was pretty helpful as well. Like using PEEL, Point, Explain/Elaborate, Evidence/Example and finally, Link. It also gave me model answers and examples on how to answer certain questions. For quoting, I learnt the ABCs, Attention, Brief and Context, which taught me how to write quotes. :)
PART II- HOW TO ORGANIZE AND WRITE THE ESSAY
In this part, I learnt how to write a Literature essay. I learnt that basically for essay writing, we need to have "a close engagement with the text and an ability to communicate a coherent argument". This part was VERY WORDY, I must say, but it contained a lot of information. I also learnt the method of demonstrating "a clear awareness of the text's meaning, a logical interpretation of the text, a detailed analysis and evaluation of the text, and finally, an insightful response to the text". To basically write an essay, we should use PEEP, Point, Evidence, Elaboration and Personal response. I also learnt the act of irony in Literature essays.
All in all, this booklet was really a meaningful one as I gathered much insight from it and learnt MANY MANY tips for me to use to boost my Literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment