Friday, August 5, 2011

LEARNING LOG 6

Recently, we learnt about a lot of literary devices. There was the basic literary devices which was split into two lessons, one was imagery and figurative language and the other was sound devices. Then we went on to advanced literary devices, diction and sentence structures. From imagery and figurative language, the word that stuck in my head was personification because I often like to use it and it was actually, well, to me, the easiest to use. Personification is the attribution of human beings to inanimate objects. For example, "The wind whispered into my ear." The wind does not actually whisper especially directly into a person's ear. It is just blown across. Humans whisper though. So this author gave the wind, an inanimate object, a human attribution. In sound devices, the word that was the most familiar was onomatopoeia. It is the formation of words which echo the sounds that they describe. For example, when you drop a pan, it goes, "CLANG!" So you write the sound into a word. That's my way of remembering this word! From lesson three, diction and sentence structures, the most funny example they gave us in the book was from complex sentence. What it said was, "When it strikes its fancy, Gorilla kills people and with a bottle of wine, eats them." I laughed when I first read it! I mean, what kind of gorilla kills people and eats them with a bottle of WINE? I guess that's what the people who did this booklet think when the phrase "complex sentence" appears. :) Anyway, a complex sentence means one or more main ideas together with minor phrases or clauses. All in all, the lessons were really interesting and I had quite a fun time figuring out which literary device went to which meaning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment